Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Thin White Duke

No real logic to that post title, other than I'm reading a bio of David Bowie by Marc Spitz [no, not the swimmer.] An internet friend recommended it. I'm just hitting the Brian Eno portion of his career, which of course leads me to the library in hopes of checking out some Brian Eno CDs. I'm sure they will be all scratched to hell, but who knows, that might make it even more interesting.

Reading that, reading THE LAST STAND, about Custer. Backed off on fiction for a bit, but I have a lot of books in the backlog. Just finished THE STRAIN, excellent scary vampire novel by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I've had nightmares for about a week related to it, which is funny because books rarely do that to me. It's an excellent antidote to all the dreamy tortured vampires in the media these days. [disclaimer: I really enjoy TRUE BLOOD and the Southern Vampire Mysteries, even though the latter make me think of a mullet-wearing good ol' boy bloodsucker with a Dale Earnhardt sticker on his casket.]

Giving up on THE BEANS OF EGYPT, MAINE yet again--I am probably too addled by attention deficit disorder or whatever to appreciate it, just too many characters, although I think some of that is intentional, the Beans are sort of a collective mass. Reading MERRY MEN, by the same author. Nice thick epic length book.

Absolutely positively have to get going on my continuing professional education, I have about six weeks to finish two self-study courses, although I guess if I have to I can register Inactive until I complete them. Absolutely no movement on the job front. Waiting on the Federal Agency that Everyone Hates, hoping to hear something sometime this month. That's pretty much all I have going. And my unemployment benefits may end if Congress doesn't work something out over the next month and a half. I'm still not too worried about it, I lucked out this time as far as timing goes. Back in February I was stuck for a few days while the Republicans threw their usual temper tantrums and phony fiscal concern [they don't seem to care who's paying for something when it makes companies like Haliburton rich, but if it goes to help unemployed/working Americans then all of a sudden they want to know where the money's coming from.]

No comments:

Post a Comment