Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Like roadwork, except without the running.

I have a logjam of books, all of which I really want to finish. I've assigned myself to read a certain number of pages per day. That seems to work more or less, although I may end up quitting on SPARTINA and go on to its sort-of sequel, COMPASS ROSE.

I think I have a new reading project, to try to read the National Book Award winners.

Maybe not surprisingly, the book that I'm having the easiest time with is the Stalin book. It's written in a fresh, surprisingly irreverent manner.

I wonder why Hitler is more "popular" than Stalin as far as an overall symbol of evil.
Maybe because a war was fought and won against Hitler, giving us a happy ending. People usually don't like it when the bad guys get to die of old age.

I read a book once about Hitler where it was claimed that Hitler was scared of Stalin after meeting him, and knew at that moment that he would eventually have to go to war with Russia. At the same time, he sort of admired his ruthlessness. It's funny to imagine Hitler telling someone, "That guy's crazy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment