Friday, December 3, 2010

This month will be different....

...actually it won’t. I’m already slacking on posts.

I had the possibility of a job yesterday but ultimately decided it wasn’t enough money. It was nine dollars an hour. The range I’ve told people is $10-12 an hour. $9 is far less than I make on unemployment. It’s not much more than I was making in retail a few years ago. The job would have been full time, which would have made it hard for me to find anything else. I wonder how many people end up taking jobs that pay far less than they used to make and just end up permanently underemployed? It would be interesting to see how the employment picture would look if underemployment were taken into account. Congress continues its fight over tax cuts, and I’m hoping that unemployment benefits might be included in an attempt to compromise. My time is soon ending with benefits either way, and when that happens I guess I will go ahead and work for $9 an hour, which is even less than I made back when I started out for the Quasi-Federal Agency Known for Workplace Violence. And that was in 1996.

2011 looks like it may be a tough year. It’s going to require major changes no matter what. It’s my hope that a year from now things will be different.


I have a lot of books to read, but I’m having a hard time sitting down and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment