Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The good news and the bad news....

Good news: I did better than last time on the interview. It was a mix between the last two, I had to answer seven or eight pre-printed questions, then got to ask one of my own [and ended up having to answer a couple of others.]

Three person panel this time, yuck. I miss the days of one-on-one interviews, I haven't had one of those since February, I think. I also miss the days of private company interviewing where it's more of a conversation instead of an examination with pre-printed questions.

The bad news: I think it still isn't good enough. I just don't have governmental accounting or auditing experience. And I can't seem to explain things without sounding stupid, although I didn't ramble nearly as much as back in March. Guess if I'm wrong I'll hear something next week. I don't really expect to. Nobody cares if I studied things in school or passed the CPA exam.

Accounting firms *might* start doing a little more in the way of hiring soon, that may be what I end up having to do. It's the only area where I have any experience, even though it's just a year and the work I did isn't relevant to where I am now. I hate the idea of public accounting, but maybe a smaller firm wouldn't be as bad. Anytime the ads say thing about a "Self-starter" though, I know things will be rough.

What is a person supposed to do? I am a good worker, but I'm a follower, not a leader. I'm a self-starter in that I will continue asking if there's anything to help with, but I need guidance, at least at first. I think sometimes self-starter is business-speak for "We are unwilling/unable to train you."

Trying not to think about what's going to happen if I can't find a job by this fall. If I'm going to relocate [probably live with my parents and try to find work] I need to do it while I have unemployment checks coming in. I despise the idea of not seeing my spouse more than a few times a year, but I'm already more than a year unemployed now, and it's not looking good even though I keep applying to things.

Oh well. I'm trying not to think too much about it yet.

Other good news: Although I obviously didn't do 31 posts this month, I at least did better than last month. Well, maybe not good news. No one really cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment