Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Books about losers.

I like books about "losers" and other fringe types [wonder why?] I'm currently reading EXLEY which is actually about another book I'm reading called A FAN'S NOTES by Frederick Exley. It's not a biography, in a way it is a YA novel about a troubled, bright kid with a missing father who may or may not be a Gulf War vet [joining the Army might have been his way of going out for a pack of smokes.] Said dad was obsessed with the book A FAN'S NOTES and the kid is trying to find the author of the book, Frederick Exley [it's set in Exley's town, in which A FAN'S NOTES is also set.] A FAN'S NOTES is about a troubled man who teaches English and lives for booze and New York Giants football games. I'm about halfway through both of them. I've been trying to read A FAN'S NOTES for years--just one of those books I've always ended up not finishing. Probably going to do it this time, though.

Wonder how many other novels are out there that are about other novels?

Plenty of stuff to apply to on the job front, although no real guarantee of anything.
My unemployment is good until late January, which isn't really that far away. No idea if I'll be able to get the last extension of benefits...a lot of it depends on what happens in the elections today, and it probably won't be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment