Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Turkey Time

Actually, we're having Chinese food for Thanksgiving.

The interview yesterday was a lot of the same old thing--the usual "What have you been doing for the last year and a half?" questions...[Um, trying to find a job in a job market that has 17% unemployment if you're being charitable in your estimates.]

They think I should specify on my resume that in addition to my master's degree that I've taken several undergraduate accounting courses [I think having a CPA license pretty much shows that I have a sufficient background...however, I'm game to try this in case that has been the one thing that has been holding me back this entire time.]

Also, they say that most places don't have people doing both tax and audit [This is absolutely untrue for this local market, and the fact that they don't know that is cause for concern.]

The one weird thing is that for this client [btw one thing in this recruiter's favor is that they are legitimately trying to fill specific jobs instead of just playing a numbers game and signing up everyone] is that they want everyone to take personality tests including the Wunderlich which I believe is the same test they give to future NFL players at the combine each year. One thing I'm good at---standardized intelligence tests. Although I didn't finish all the questions in the alloted twelve minutes, I finished at least 80% of them and hopefully got most of the ones right that I answered. Maybe that will help. You never know what these people want.

Reading SPARTINA, a former National Book Award winner. Mainly about an middle aged crab fisherman trying to make it.

Also MATERHORN, a novel about Vietnam. Everyone is going nuts over it and I can see why. Will give my thoughts at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment