Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sick....

Ended up spending last week at my home state due to a family medical emergency that thankfully has stabilized. Back home now, but as usual I caught a cold while I was there that I've brought back home. Believe I am slowly recovering.

First day of summer and of course it is also the first day of triple digits here, it is supposed to be well over 100. Miserable time of year.

My family drives me crazy to the point where I almost do not want to return to my home state anymore, but I'm starting to think it is the only place where I'll find work. I didn't get the job I interviewed for. I have another county interview next week, but I don't really take those as serious job opportunities anymore. The only hope would be that this is a different agency and maybe I could possibly click with the interviewers.
Also, my last interview had a similar format and I think I did okay at it [even if I wasn't successful] so maybe I could finally perform to where I could get the job here.

Unemployment runs out in a little over a month, I'm kind of at a loss. About to hit an even worse anniversary than last year, I am almost two years unemployed now.

I was stuck with my parents' selection of books last week and ended up giving the second installment of Stieg Larson's Millennium Trilogy a try, and ended up getting hooked into it enough to finish the second and third books. I still wouldn't say they were great, it's one of those cases where the best known and most successful example of the genre is also the weakest. Really hoping that Jo Nesbo might be able to take advantage of the series' popularity. But the story did pick up in the second volume, THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE. I think too much of the first book involved detective work, scenes of the characters examining photographs and computer files. This at least had some more action. The third book is mainly a courtroom drama of sorts, but it is at least satisfying to see the villains get their comeuppance. But Lisbeth Salander is still a silly cartoon-like character, and despite the claims of "grittiness," the series has a real lack of realism. But if you view it as a sort of comic book, it's a decent entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment