Friday, November 26, 2021

Artifice

I've recently become acquainted [okay, through Patreon] with a somewhat well-known podcaster. She mentioned today during a Zoom hangout that originally she had a division between her "podcast self" and her authentic self, but over the past couple of years she's taken down that wall and has let the listeners be more a part of her life [of course, a lot of her podcast has been her being super vulnerable about her life and past relationships.]

It caused me to wonder about the idea of what some call "masking," which I've pretty much used as a survival tactic for most of my life. I tend to feel like all my interactions with other people are a sort of act...not that I'm phony, but I have to say and do certain things to cause the social gears to move smoothly. Everything is a performance, even if it's a really bland performance, a plastic orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment