Wednesday, May 12, 2010

In other news....

Looks like we're being audited by the state tax commission. Got a letter today asking about why we didn't file a return a few years ago when we made payments on our mortgage. Guess they think we're hiding something.

I called them and explained that I was a full-time grad student that year that we made our mortgage payments out of student loan proceeds, gifts from family, and credit card advances, and that we had no work or income that year. I have to send some bank statements, it would be relatively uncomplicated other than that one of our bank accounts is a joint account between my wife and my father-in-law, so I'm afraid they're going to think his income [he had some gambling winnings that year] is ours, or that we're using that account to hide something. He's going to end up being dragged into this in some way, and that will be what complicates things. Still, I know we're right, it's just a matter of having documentation. I have some of the stuff already, will have to run to the bank to get some of the earlier statements tomorrow.

Not really that bad since I know we'll eventually be okay, also I will need this information at some point because I will have to undergo a 3 year tax audit in order to work for the federal agency I've applied to, so it's better to get the info together now.

No comments:

Post a Comment