Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A bad anniversary.

Last time I mentioned that an unpleasant anniversary is today. As you might have guessed [and I don't really know who I mean when I say "you," as far as I know no one has ever read this blog outside of my household,] it involves my employment situation.
It was one year ago today that I was finally let go at the Big Firm, ending a really miserable year. My early posts have gone over that whole disaster.

It also means that today [or tomorrow, I suppose] I officially join the ranks of the "long term unemployed." I'm still hoping for a call or some glimmer of hope regarding my federal job aspirations, that I will either be interviewed sometime in July or else they will use my prior interview and I will be contacted in August. The office to where I'm applying allegedly was having a hard time finding applicants, although I find this hard to believe given the unemployment rate here.

I've only had a handful of interviews over this past year. Things aren't good. This area is always economically depressed, and will probably be the last place to turn things around. It's not as bad as, say Detroit, but it's not good either.

I hear the same promises regarding unemployment extensions. I thank my lucky stars that I have an entire month before I'm cut off, even though they will be in recess for a good deal of that time I am still hoping they can get it done. If I am cut off some things will be easier, I can start to consider temporary or part-time work, and I won't have to document my job search. But I'm sure finding temporary or part-time work will not be any easier.

Oh well, I'm meeting my wife today for lunch, and hope to have a pleasant day. Maybe with time I will be able to put a lot of the bad events of the past couple of years behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment