Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Incommunicado

Sorry for not writing. I do have stuff to talk about, been reading a lot, but I guess I just can't seem to organize my thoughts. This is the longest I've gone, I think.

Guess this is where blogs often die. I will fight on.

I decided to go ahead and renew my CPA license for this next 2-year period. Of course, that means I have to do about 20 hours of continuing education over the next couple of months, but I already have it on order.

I had seriously considered going inactive [basically paying a lower renewal rate just to avoid delinquency] but I will give this another a couple of years. If it's 2012 and I'm still in basically the same position as now, or if I'm in a situation where I'm not really using any of my accounting background and don't plan to, I will consider going inactive then depending. I think they are working toward lowering the cost of renewal by 2012, so I might go ahead and stay active if it is not too expensive, although the biggest expense involves the continuing ed courses. We are technologically challenged here as far as internet connection goes, so a lot of the online stuff is out of the question at least right now, unfortunately those are often the cheaper solutions for CPE. I did find a company that has hard copy courses available, so I'm doing that. Even then, to keep the license going will probably run me a few hundred dollars a year just for the various courses. At this point, I guess it's still worth it.

I just don't want to reach the point where my CPA license essentially amounts to a very expensive hobby.

My wife is at a work conference this week, so I'm left to my own devices. Have a huge backlog of books, right now I'm focusing on UNDER THE BANNER OF HEAVEN by Jon Krakauer. It's nominally about a murder case in Utah, but the meat of the book is about the history of the Mormon church and the uneasy relationship with the "fundamentalist" groups that operate outside of it, the groups that believe in polygamy. I got interested in the whole subject from watching BIG LOVE along with reading THE LONELY POLYGAMIST by Brady Udall [which incidentally is doing good business in Utah...]

Also writing a bit, encountering something that used to happen when I was doing writing courses in school--my work is really starting to seem geared to the "young adult" market. Wondering if that's what I'm going to end up doing. Of course, I used to work at Borders and saw a lot of the YA books, and that's actually a pretty wide field with a lot of room to do different things, so I don't know if that's a bad thing anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment