Friday, June 4, 2010

Bummer....

Looks like my wife got stuck at the airport. She missed her connecting flight because her first flight ended up stuck on the tarmac for nearly two hours due to rainstorms. It was literally a case of if they had waiting maybe an additional ten minutes she would have made the flight. I don't know why airlines can't give a little extra time when it is a "last flight of the evening" situation. After all, it is nighttime there, and it isn't as if the people on the plane are in a hurry to make some kind of business meeting or anything. I don't know why they couldn't extend that courtesy, because I have seen them do it in the past, I've been on flights where they waited a few extra minutes because it was the last flight to that destination until the next day and there were passengers racing to get there due to a delay at their originating flight. But I guess that's the key, that was in the past. It's even more ridiculous though, because they have cut so many flights now so there is less likelihood of there even being a later flight.

I guess my lousy air travel luck has passed on to her, I have rarely been able to travel anywhere by plane without there being some major delay or problem and often I will end up missing a connecting flight due to weather or other B.S. Crappy thing is that these days airlines expect the travelers to more or less fend for themselves unless it's a very specific set of circumstances, and weather is not one of those.

Her employer should cover whatever additional expense there is, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fight over it.

I think she's probably going to pass the next time they offer to send her anywhere unless it is within driving distance or doesn't require making a connecting flight.
The way things are these days, you pretty much have to always budget an extra day's worth of expenses in your travel budget any time you fly because it is so easy to end up stranded at the airport.

Last time I flew I had a miserable time trying to get home--there was heavy fog here and all the flights were cancelled. So I spent the night [on my dime] at a nearby hotel [where you had all these ghetto people talking as loudly as possible as they walked down the hall at one AM--"I'M GOING TO THE FOURTH FLOOR!! I'M GOING OUTSIDE NOW!!"] Had the first flight the next morning, but that too was cancelled due to fog, as was the next flight, until they finally put me on another airline that was able to get me there with no problem. And I'm probably going to have to fly again at some point this year and go through the same crap all over again, although if it is summer or early fall it will probably thunderstorms rather than fog.

I actually used to enjoy flying when I was younger, but I think that was because I didn't really have all that much to fly home to.

No comments:

Post a Comment