Friday, July 2, 2010

A post a day in July?

Can it be done?

Got a letter today regarding my interview. It actually is with the county, yes, same place as back in March. Difference is that this is more of an entry level position, Accountant I, and I would be working in a single department. I've already found some info online regarding the job, and after the interview in March I have an idea about some of the things they may ask about. I think they just took some of the top scorers from the exam in February who didn't get selected for the last job and are interviewing them for this. I think I have a good chance. Only bad part is, the county is laying off a lot of people. I don't know if they're laying off accountants, or if they would get rid of someone who just got there [and doesn't cost them as much as a senior person] but we'll see. Hopefully even if that does happen I can at least stay a year and be able to, yep, collect unemployment.

This could be really good. I am a much better match for this than some of the other things I've interviewed for.

Reading BIG MACHINE by Victor LaValle. I literally had to wait nearly half the year to get it. The library has one copy and it was in high demand. You'd think they would order more, but I guess they have the usual budget problems. Maybe they could order a few less copies of a best-seller than no one will remember in a year.

I've just barely started, but am intrigued to see what will happen next. A sort-of-ex-junkie gets a mysterious letter telling him it is time to pay back for something that happened nearly 20 years ago. He drops everything and heads to Vermont to live in a cabin with several others who have received similar letters. It seems like they are going to be entangled in a bizarre cult or pyramid scheme. I'm dying to find out. Great writing, a great main character, and a great story.

Also reading a long bio of Harry Truman, I guess that will be my long non-fiction book of the month that I may or may not finish. Last time it was the civil war narrative that I got 400 pages into before surrendering.

No comments:

Post a Comment