Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fall

It's finally autumn. It was over 100 degrees a week ago, but today it's cloudy and overcast, in the low 70s. Hope it lasts. Good day to watch old movies.

I had an interesting situation with a book, the novel SUPER SAD TRUE LOVE STORY. I got about 180 pages in it, and decided to give up on it. Not because it was a bad book or poorly written, but because the world of the book [the not-so-distant future where it is a post-literate, superficial America and most people communicate in tweets, chat-speak, and texts] was just so repulsive to me that I didn't want to experience it any longer. It is written like a series of blog posts from the various characters.

Can a book be too good at bringing you someplace you don't want to be, to where you don't want to read it? I see the world heading into that direction, even though I don't believe the book is meant to be any kind of cautionary tale. I think it is more of a personal reaction. Although the Internet has been a major force for change in my life, and most of that has been positive, I think a lot of things about it have had a negative impact for society. I will have to think more about it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment