Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Good news!

Haven't heard about the job, but I did just score 486 points playing Scrabble. I'll be sure to mention that next time I'm asked in an interview about what I've been doing all this time. "Improving my Scrabble skills."

I play against the computer mainly, although my wife and I will have vicious Scrabble matches sometimes on weekends. Computer play is easier, I've never done nearly as well with a regular board. It's funny, most people think it's about coming up with all sorts of words, but the game is really more about numbers in a lot of ways...knowing how to make the best use of premium tiles, trying to create "hooks" for other words, in hopes of coming up with a "bingo," a play that uses all seven tiles and earns a bonus of 50 points on top of whatever else you get. But if you luck into the right combinations, you don't need bingos, one of my highest all time plays only involved five tiles, the word QUADS, with the Q being a triple letter tile and the S triggering a Double Word Tile both for QUADS and another longer word that had a lot of other high value tiles. I think it ended up earning somewhere in the 80 point range, which is more than many bingos earn.

Oh well, back to reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment