Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The surrender.....

Last week I was turned down for my last two serious job prospects--the family CPA firm and the air pollution district. The lady at the firm sent a nice letter about how I was "one of their final three candidates, but..." I would almost rather get a generic form letter than that.

Also got a letter from the air district informing me that although I passed the interview I was not on the final list of eligibles. The HR person said I could have feedback if I wanted it, I guess I will take her up on it just so I can really depress myself and finally hear from the interviewer's perspective about how poorly I interview.

Went in to the temp office last week, let them know I was up for anything, pretty much.
Allegedly most of the work is full-time. As usual, I did well on the tests so I assume if I follow up something might result. I just need to come up with enough per month to cover my personal credit expenses.

I haven't totally given up on a "real" job, but I have to face facts--if it were going to happen, it probably would have by now, and it's been nearly two years since I last worked. In a way it is liberating because I'll more or less be finished with the annoying parts of the job hunt. Once my unemployment benefits run out I'll at least be more free to do other things.

When I was in my twenties, I enrolled in a paralegal certificate program. I never worked as a paralegal, and luckily fell into my post office job a few months after I "graduated." I still have the student loan debt from it. It sucks, but I'm starting to think my accounting career is more of the same, just more expensive, with less of a possibility of something else working out. And I'm not a young single twenty-something anymore; my screwups no longer only affect me. My wife is stuck in a job she hates during one of the most stressful periods of her life, all because I can't get it together.

Oh well, have a ton of chores to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment