Tuesday, September 1, 2026
Still more to say, and remembering Wendell Berry
A series of events have conincided to get me back to blogging. I feel I have more to write about than I once did, and am doing more though in other ways my world is smaller than ever. I promise to get to more of Where I've Been in my next entry. Still in the same town, same job, but my living situation has changed significantly. I've traveled a lot and had a lot of experiences where enough time has passed so that I feel like I can write better about them than I would have if they'd just occurred.
Wendell Berry has died, a writer I came to love in my 40s. I read an essay by him in college and I despised it, thinking him some Luddite who wanted everyone to live on a farm or a small town similar to the one I grew up in and hated. Now I'm in my mid-50s and would love to live a simpler, rural lifestyle [though I still would like to visit a city on occasion.]
His novel Jayber Crow is one of my favorites, and the greatest example of the "quiet novel." It's about the life of a town barber, his road to get there, and his life among the people he barbers. I read it every few years, and find something new from it each time.
He created a whole universe out there, Port William, Kentucky. I'll miss all the people there, Jayber Crow, Elton Penn, Tol Proudfoot, the Coulters, the list goes on and on.
I have to get back to my pre-work breakfast, but will return.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment