Friday, April 9, 2010

Light at the end of the tunnel?

So...the interview. Or interviews.

Had three total, although none were really formal. Two with HR people, then a panel one with the accounting staff I would be joining. That one went really well. Although I don't have a lot of hands-on experience, it turns out that I do know a lot about some of their issues, sales and use tax stuff, and a lot of the unique aspects of tribal gaming. I feel that has to be a plus, and I doubt that many of the other candidates are going to have that knowledge or have my other qualifications.

Only snag...an Excel test early on. Badly flubbed at least two of the 10 questions. I don't know if it was pass/fail and I passed it so they went on with everything, or if it's something that will be taken into account later. Really should have tried to review a few things beforehand. Problems using Excel, etc., are probably one of my biggest issues at work. I wasted a lot of time at the Big Firm trying to figure out how to do a lot of it. I used it for basic functions in school, but that was all. I'm going to try to brush up on it. One of the other places I've applied to is doing a similar test.

Unfortunately, they have a ton of applicants, so this was just the first round interview. I don't know if I will be selected for the second round, or if I will be interviewing with other people next time. What I think will happen will be that it will be the same accounting group, but much tougher questions--these questions were really general.

As usual, we shall see.

I ended up gambling! Yes, I gambled at my job interview. There was about a two hour interval between the HR interviews and my meeting the accounting staff, so I had to do something. So I ended up playing Time Machine again, but ended up losing around $10. I think the interval may have been by design...get that extra gambling revenue out of the applicant! Still, better by far than my spending nearly a grand on a plane ticket and hotel room for a half-hour interview, which is what I did back in January for the IRS.

No comments:

Post a Comment