Sunday, April 25, 2010

Waiting game begins...

...tomorrow. This time, I really expect a call, and I think the only problem might be just the bureaucracy of it. They really want someone to start as soon as possible [they mentioned a pile of reconciliations and other things that need doing] so I think even if I had to get my gaming license before starting they would want to get that ball rolling as soon as they could.

Everyone seemed to like me, and I think the accounting staff I had met with in the first interview were "pulling for me" with the CFO. The CFO and I seemed to hit it off pretty well too.

It will be a ton of work. There will be a lot to learn, since I've only done tax work. But I feel up to it, and am eager to "reboot" my career. It will be nice to have work to do and a clear agenda about why I'm there. We'll be insanely busy one week a month, but that's better than being insanely busy from mid-Jan to mid-April.

I'm probably jinxing it.

Meanwhile, I'm a little over a quarter away through the first volume of Shelby Foote's three volume Civil War narrative. Lots of interesting things I didn't know--the people of both sides were highly critical of their leaders and generals throughout [Lee especially was very unpopular at first], both Lincoln and Davis had to throw a lot of people in jail at various points, suspending habeas corpus, etc.

The writing is "dense" but very readable. Never dry. I'm eager to read more, just hoping I will be able to find the time. I hope to do what I did during my last job, trying to find an hour each day to read, then reading like a fiend on my days off.

No comments:

Post a Comment