Tuesday, December 21, 2010

27 hours....

...until my interview. I'm fairly calm. I know that I can continue receiving unemployment until I hit the 99 week stage which will be sometime next summer.
I've also gone through so many bad interviews this year and have been getting a lot better as the year has gone by to where I'm generally pretty comfortable interviewing.
As I've said before, after the "court martial" style of interview I was subjected to over the spring and summer, everything else has been pretty easy.

Even if I don't get a job here, that can free us up to move sometime next year. It would be better if I could work here for a couple of years, get some experience, and then move, but I'm okay either way.

Had a productive reading weekend...I finished SPARTINA and am close to finishing THE WAKE OF FORGIVENESS, a period piece set in rural Texas during the early 1900s.

I also started and finished MOONLIGHT MILE, by Dennis Lehane. I've enjoyed his books in the past, and was interested to see him revisit "series" fiction which is how he started before writing MYSTIC RIVER and SHUTTER ISLAND, which were very successful, and THE GIVEN DAY, which I gather was not. This is a sequel to GONE BABY GONE, which was one of his better series books. One of the things about it that worked was the way that the characters developed and changed as the books continued. Series books are sort of like comic books, the characters generally don't develop much and usually stuff is more or less wrapped up by the end of each installment. Here he kind of falls prey to things being kind of hard to believe, though, and that took me out of the story.

One of the thing that often causes problems for me with genre fiction is the prevalence of the "super character." The tough guy who is at the beck and call of the protagonist who can kill/maim anyone he pleases; the computer hacker who can magically provide any information needed [that in particular is one of the main reasons I couldn't get into THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.]

MOONLIGHT MILE has a lot of this, and it's just not believable. It's also annoying that the female lead character, who formally was more of a partner with the protagonist, is now basically reduced to someone who stays home with their kid and appears through a good portion of the book via cell phone. I recognize and appreciate the need to have the characters living real lives,
and that he's trying to show the danger of the situation for the protagonist to have his family threatened, but wish it had been done in a different way. The book's ending makes it seem like Lehane is saying goodbye to these characters, and that's probably best.

No comments:

Post a Comment