Friday, December 17, 2010

Mom was right.

My mom always used to say that if you don't expect too much, you won't be disappointed by things in life. I used to think that was a pessimistic, depressing view, but I think she was right. I also choose to interpret it as valuing the simple things in life more, although I don't think that is really what she meant.

Saw a report yesterday that having depression increases your risk of dementia. I guess I better try to enjoy the next 30 years then, before I cease to be myself anymore.

Yesterday I applied to a bookkeeper job with a construction company. They had me come in to test, which probably had mixed results. They had a ten key test [the kind with a calculator tape] and I of course had no idea what to do with it, so who knows if they will call me back or not. I basically faked it. I don't know why people still use those things. It's like using an abacus. The job pays around the same as unemployment and seems like a pretty stressful work environment, so I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't work out.

The recruiter says I might get to interview her client on Tuesday. But I won't expect too much...see, it's already working.

Almost finished with SPARTINA. Only thing I find difficult is when characters talk and talk for long paragraphs. No one talks that way, generally. I find myself tuning out at those parts of the book, similar to how I do in real life.

Have at least three books to pick up at the library, yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment