Friday, December 17, 2010

Breaking news...

...I have a job interview next week. It's a mid-size local firm. They were seeking a senior manager, but mentioned they were anticipating a lot of growth so I responded and asked them to keep me in mind if that growth included the hiring of junior staff. They called today. See, it never hurts to try.

I need to brush up on what's going on with tax rules, there is quite a bit...just want to show that I am keeping up with things while I've been out of work. I know they will ask what I've been doing all this time.

I could go either way on it---public accounting is not really what I want to do long term, so I'm going to have to try and snow them on that. I've been studying up on interview techniques, and watching that awful "Fairy Jobmother" show [although a lot of the show is obviously staged, some of her advice is actually pretty good.], so I feel confident I can have a good interview. I feel like my last few public accounting interviews have actually been pretty good [well, maybe not the last one, but I guess I'll never know] so if they are actually considering someone with my experience level I should have a reasonable chance.

I'm sure the question will come up on why I left the Big Firm. I am not sure on how to answer. I've been claiming "layoff" for most of this time, but maybe I should be more honest. I will have to think of how to formulate an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment