Friday, March 19, 2010

Friend Chicken

I’m still suffering from my father-in-law’s birthday party blowout at one of his favorite greasy spoon eateries. Over the last five or six months I’ve eaten relatively healthfully other than the occasional lapse [usually 2-3 days, which is why I’ve pretty much been losing and gaining the same seven or eight pounds since Thanksgiving.] This was probably one of the worst things I’d eaten in a while, fried chicken, fried mushrooms, fried onion rings…I think you get the overall theme here. And now my digestive system is lodging a complaint.

Food was delicious, though. I’m happy I’ve lost the weight I have, and I know I need to lose quite a bit more to be at a technically healthy weight according to the BMI charts, but sometimes I feel like I should just try to work on maintaining the weight I’m at. Of course, I guess if I quit striving to improve, I may end up gaining it all back….again!
But I feel healthy, I’m active, and my various bloodwork numbers are all really good, better than most people’s. I know long term, though, things would be better if I weighed less. I had a big weight gain right after I turned 30, and I imagine there will be a similar metabolic milestone sometime down the road unless I continue to work toward a healthier lifestyle. I am technically diabetic [have it under good control with medication and lifestyle changes to the point where if I lost a little more weight I could probably be “cured”] and have high blood pressure [also currently under control.] I have family members who have suffered from it and have health problems that make their lives pretty difficult in their old age, and I don’t want that to be me. But boy, that fried chicken [I keep misspelling it as “friend chicken”] was sure good.

My wife found my old audit textbook from school in a closet, so I’m going over it a little bit. I have to keep reminding myself I don’t really need to memorize things, just be able to talk intelligently about governmental and internal auditing. I am not really nervous yet, I probably should be.

Library Saturday will probably be pretty weak next time, I have not really made any progress in reading anything due to being busy otherwise.

Tonight my wife and I are visiting with one of her longtime friends and her family. They are really, really into online gaming. I kind of view video games as like some kind of addictive substance, I don’t want to take it because even though I might enjoy it I’d probably have a hard time stopping. One of the things is that her friend’s husband really wants me to get into playing games online, which I don’t want to do. Even if I were to play, I’d rather play alone so I could feel free to mess up and shoot the wrong people or shoot myself or whatever. I am too uncoordinated to be very good at any of it, and I certainly wouldn’t want to humiliate myself in “public.”

I was even bad at Pac-Man when I was a kid. No way could I handle shooting Nazis or zombies, or Nazi zombies, or whatever else they shoot in these games. Something is always shot.

Just noticed that I have finally reached the point where there are "Older posts." I think that is a first. I also don't think anyone has read this other than me. I guess I should start trying to "promote" this more, but you know how I am about marketing and networking...

No comments:

Post a Comment