Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Post interview blues....


Well, at least it's over. Government job interviews are always rough, and this was no exception. Unlike the private sector, there is generally no attempt at friendly banter or rapport. I was given a sheet of paper with questions on it, and then had to answer each one. I did not always have a good answer. Actually, I'd say very few of my answers were good.

After that, I was able to ask questions of my own, and that went a little bit better.

All I can do is think about things I did wrong, times when I did not communicate well enough, and the feeling that I had the deer in the headlights look throughout the entire interview. I do not have anywhere near the type experience they want, but it is allegedly entry-level. We will see what happens. I can at least take comfort in the fact that my feelings about an interview have never been a reliable indicator of how it went--there have been several times when I thought I knocked it out of the park only to get a rejection e-mail or letter a few days later. This time I feel uncertain, so maybe it worked out?

Job will be a huge stretch for me, but I guess that is how it should be. I try to tell myself, "If I don't get the job, it means I was wrong for it." I should hear something by the end of next week. Also, we are anxious about my wife's job now, she starts in a week and we have yet to receive an "official" offer or get anything from HR. I am trying not to think about having the rug pulled out from under us, but it's always in the back of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment