Monday, March 15, 2010

Is it Monday?

When you're out of the workforce for a long period [going on nine months for me] you tend to forget about the days of the week.

Finished the Feinstein book—it was not as good as I thought it would be, but I finished it Saturday night [it was not very long.] The problem may have been that he was trying to tell the story of too many individuals so only a couple stood out, so a lot of the book had me saying “Now who is that again?” as I read.

The job search continues…got two nice e-mails from local firms I applied to over the weekend. They don’t need anyone right now, but one will re-visit things after tax season.

I appreciated the reply. That’s one nice thing about smaller firms, they are more likely to get back to people [but they don’t always do it!] With larger companies, the end result becomes one of those Unsolved Mysteries. I interviewed with the IRS twice this past year and never heard anything about what happened, just had to assume I was not selected when I never got a call.

My goal these days is to find a job before my current unemployment extension runs out in August. Now that we know we will be staying here a few years, it is easier to focus my job search. Before, we really had no idea where we were going to go or what to shoot for. The bad part is that employment opportunities here are pretty limited, but I think with patience and some effort, something will turn up eventually. I think I should be able to collect unemployment after August, but I’d rather not have to do that. I am tired of not working. I enjoy having the downtime to read, write, and so on, but I feel like the longer this goes on, the harder it will be to catch up. Accounting is not a static field and there are always changes in tax law, accounting practices, etc. If I’m out of the workforce for a significant period, it’s going to be more difficult. Hate to say it, but I am really banking on getting on with the IRS eventually, because they don’t really care about a lot of the things that are causing me problems getting hired elsewhere. That was the same reason I ended up at the Quasi-Federal Agency that is Known for Workplace Violence. They didn’t even interview me, they just looked at how I did on their exam and put me to work. Which is probably how they end up with their, ahem, somewhat “eccentric” workforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment