Monday, August 9, 2010

Closing the Passage

Surprisingly, this isn't another post about my employment woes.

I have a massive backlog of books to be read. I overdo it at the thrift store and the library book sale. I have no real place to put a lot of my books. I'm similar to those compulsive hoarders, except I actually do read the books and the ones I have bought I often do pass on once I've finished them or given up on them. Anyway, it is an ongoing battle which I am losing.

One of the books that I'd waited on for some time is THE PASSAGE, by Justin Cronin. It is an end-of-the-world type novel, epic length. Similar to Stephen King's THE STAND [which is the yardstick by which all apocalyptic novels/stories/films are measured.]
I am around 500 pages into it, and figure I will be coming into the novel's endgame soon.

...assuming I don't give up on it. THE PASSAGE seems to be doing something that a lot of newer books do, basically the events of the first few hundred pages seem to have become background, and now it seems like the book is mired in the less-than-interesting personal issues of a colony of survivors. Although the thing that caused the apocalyptic event is still very much at large, it seems to be mostly backstage.
There's an impending crisis for the colony, and that too seems to have been placed on the back burner. Instead we have a lot of political and personal conflict. I'm hoping it picks up, it's due later this week and I have a lot of other stuff I'd rather read at this point. Usually when I get this far in a book, I am determined to finish it, but there is always a first time, I guess. And lord knows, I failed the various character lessons of childhood and am more or less a quitter by nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment