Monday, August 23, 2010

Recruit this!

Enjoyed spending time with my parents this weekend. I'm planning on visiting with them later this week. It's good to be able to do that right now, I think I was feeling isolated and depressed.

No serious job prospect on the horizon, but I have found a couple of things to apply to, so that is always good.

My cell phone rang today. I didn't feel like dropping everything to answer it [the phone usually rings when I'm about to get in the shower, in a checkout line, or when I'm in traffic] so I let voice mail pick it up. Turned out to be a recruiter for a job I had applied to over the weekend, a job which I was not aware involved a recruiting company. The job was one that I was not really qualified for, and finding out that it was actually placed by a recruiter was the final straw. I've done that before and have never been considered for any of those positions regardless of my qualifications. It's common knowledge that most of the time the jobs they post are non-existent and they are just trying to build a recruitment pool.


I decided not to return the call. I've been looking pretty hard for a job since last September [prior to that I had family issues that kept me from being able to be here to look for work.] Over that time, I've worked with three recruiters. Although I have had one interview as a result of working with a recruiter, over 90% of my results as far as interviewing, getting responses, etc., has been through my own effort, not that of a recruiter. And the one interview I had ended up being an absolute waste of time both for me and the person interviewing me, I was a terrible fit for the position and I don't know why they even suggested me for it other than they had to find someone for what was obvious a terrible position for whoever ended up taking the job. It had been turned down by two other people prior to me, and those two were much better equipped for it than I was. It was the position which I think I've mentioned in the past where the owner of the company basically wanted someone to buy him out in a few years. He was also wanting someone to conduct audits, which was something he was not qualified to do [he was not even a CPA, although he had another certification that was related to tax work.]

I do not think I am any better off for having dealt with recruiters, not at my experience level. I just don't feel like wasting my time on some no-name staffing company when I'm already signed up for three others and they have never really done much toward finding me a job. I'm also resentful that I wasted my time submitting my resume and writing another cover letter to what turned out to be another recruiter. So nope, I'm not calling the person back.

Hate to say it, but it's fun being the person who isn't returning calls for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment